Euro 2020 and the Copa America are over and the summer transfer window is open, leaving Europe’s biggest clubs clear to make a splash in the market. Check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Man City, Villa £25m apart over Grealish move
City’s offer will include add-ons, but Villa want their star man to stay and it is suggested that City will need to increase their bid by £25m for the Premier League side to even consider it.
Villa will also offer the midfielder a new contract worth £150,000-a-week in an attempt to convince him to stay, despite only seeing him pen a five-year deal in September.
Villa’s reservations have not put City off at all, though, as City manager Pep Guardiola is hoping that a deal for the 25-year-old will be completed quickly.
City have already made over £30m from offloading fringe players like Angelino, Jack Harrison and Lukas Nmecha, with the salaries of Sergio Aguero and Eric Garcia also off the books after they left for Barcelona on free transfers. Midfielder Bernardo Silva could also depart to help make the funds available.
10.10 BST: Juventus have a decision to make over Cristiano Ronaldo.
Juventus has a decision to make regarding Cristiano Ronaldo after his contract expires next season.
09.34 BST: Southampton have signed Chelsea centre-back Dynel Simeu on a three-year contract.
Simeu, 19, has been at Chelsea since the age of 13 and the England Under-19 international will move back to the city he grew up in to be a part of the Southampton B team at first.
“I feel glad, finally, that the move was made possible,” he said. “I’m just excited to get started. It’s nice to be back home, I’ve had a really friendly welcome. I feel comfortable that I’m home with my family, so I’m excited. I hope to hit the ground running, get fit and comfortable with the boys and then hopefully push towards the first-team.”
09.31 BST: Tottenham Hotspur are keen to sign Juventus midfielder Aaron Ramsey, says Gazzetta dello Sport.
Ramsey, 30, started only 13 Serie A matches last campaign and earns around €300,000-a-week so Juventus are keen to move him on.
It’s not known whether the former Arsenal star would consider a move to their rivals Tottenham, but Juve would reportedly accept offers of €10m.
08.55 BST: Fabrizio Romano reported yesterday that Chelsea are pushing to sign €80m-rated defender Jules Kounde from Sevilla.
However, the fee is high so now the Blues are looking to add Kurt Zouma to the deal.
Sevilla are looking for a replacement are keen on Schalke centre-back Ozan Kabak, says Bild.
Kabak, 20, spent last season on loan at Liverpool but didn’t do enough to land a permanent deal. Leicester City and Crystal Palace are also interested but Sevilla are ready to offer €17m to land the Turkey international now.
08.34 BST: Eric Bailly will seek clarification over his future at Manchester United after they reached a deal with Real Madrid for Raphael Varane, sources have told ESPN.
With the addition of Varane, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will have seven centre-backs in his senior squad and sources have told ESPN that Bailly, in particular, is concerned his first team opportunities will be severely limited.
Playing time formed a central part of negotiations with the club which eventually ended in the Ivory Coast international signing a new long-term contract in April. After agreeing fresh terms, Bailly is contracted to United until 2024 with the option of another year.
08.00 BST: Manchester United confirmed on Tuesday that they have agreed a deal with Real Madrid for Raphael Varane.
United are set to pay an initial €41m for the defender with another €8.2m in add-ons. Madrid have agreed to cover a solidarity payment due to Varane’s previous club Lens.
The club said in a statement: “Manchester United is delighted to announce the club has reached agreement with Real Madrid for the transfer of French international defender and World Cup winner, Raphael Varane, subject to a medical and to player terms being finalised.”
After undergoing his medical, the 28-year-old is expected to sign a four-year contract with the option of an additional year.
The ESPN FC panel discuss the imminent move of Raphael Varane to Manchester United from Real Madrid.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– According to Eurosport, Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba could wait until 2022 to decide his future. The Frenchman’s contract comes to an end at that time, and despite Paris Saint-Germain being ready to offer the Red Devils around £45m, Pogba wants to keep his options open for now. This is partly due to the 28-year-old’s dream of playing for Real Madrid, as he knows committing to another club could dent his chances of ever joining Los Blancos.
– Internazionale are in talks with Cagliari regarding a loan move for Nahitan Nandez, reports Calciomercato. Cagliari want it to be a €5m loan, but Inter want to get the 24-year-old for free with a right to make the move permanent. Cagliari are asking for a lower fee to sign Martin Satriano if Nandez initially joins Inter for free, but they have so far responded by offering a large portion of the fee if Nandez joins them permanently and moves on again.
– Jose Mourinho has left the door open for Alessandro Florenzi to return to AS Roma, having spent last season on loan at Paris Saint-Germain, but the right-back wants to leave, reports Calciomercato. The report says Florenzi has grievances with the club that motivate his desire to leave, even with manager Paulo Fonseca having departed. Atalanta and Sevilla have both showing interest, but there is nobody coming forward to sign the 30-year-old at the moment.
– Fiorentina are on the lookout for a central midfielder, and Corriere dello Sport have listed the trio they have their eyes on, naming: Inter’s Stefano Sensi, Arsenal‘s Lucas Torreira and Cologne’s Ellyes Skhiri.
– Nemanja Radonjic wants to return to Hertha Berlin, as has been reported by Fabrizio Romano. The Marseille man spent last season on loan with the Bundesliga outfit, and talks are ongoing between the two clubs to reach an agreement.