“Super Easy Soups and Stews,” edited by Abigail R. Gehring, offers 100 ridiculously easy recipes for all your favorite soups, stews, chilies, chowders, and more. Whether you like to prepare dinner on the stovetop or in your slow cooker, Instant Pot, Dutch oven, or good old fashioned stock pot, there are plenty of delicious options here. You’ll also find helpful ideas for freezing soups, time-saving tips for prepping ingredients, and handy substitutions to customize soups to your tastes and dietary needs.
Recipe: Tomato Basil Soup
Barbara Kuhns, Millersburg, OH
Makes 4-6 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp.) butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 10 1⁄2-oz. cans condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 14 1⁄2-oz. cans chicken broth
- 3 tsp. basil
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Garlic cloves, minced, optional
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Melt butter in soup pot.
2. Add and sauté onion until softened.
3. Add condensed soup, sauce, paste, broth, basil, brown sugar, and garlic (if using).
4. Cook, covered, until hot.
5. Whisk together flour and cream.
6. Add and heat gently, stirring, until soup is steaming and thick. Do not boil.
Like this recipe as much as we do? Purchase a copy of “Super Easy Soups and Stews: 100 Soups, Stews, Broths, Chilis, Chowders, and More! “