Usman Austin Okai, leader of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Youth Frontier, has petitioned the Department of State Services (DSS) and other security agencies over the “plans” of associates of Yahaya Bello, Governor of the state, to kill him.
In the petition, also sent to the Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP) and the Commander, Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Okai said a murder attempt is being plotted against him due to “the opinions I hold about governance and leadership all of which I liberally discuss in the public space”.
He said the plan to terminate his life has been cleverly hatched to resemble an accidental discharge from the rifle of a marksman who will be an individual with no traceable identity.
A substantial sum of money has been set aside for two purposes — induce a category of my associates and blackmail another category who are immune to inducement,” he said.
“The intent of this plan is to enable my traducers obtain information about my movement with these moles and/or have them plant controlled substances or arms in any of my homes to give legal push to a long term incarceration during which I will be killed.
“In the event that the plan A flops, a plan B will be activated which will include a stage-managed robbery operation either in my residence or on the motor ways in ether Lokoja, Anyigba or the FCT in the course of which I will be fatally wounded thus leading to permanent disability or a festering wound on a sensitive part of my body.”
THE FULL PETITION
25th April 2019.
Department of State Services,
Kogi State Command,
A PETITON ON A THREAT TO MY LIFE
My name is USMAN, AUSTIN OKAI. A citizen of Nigeria of Igala extraction from Kogi State, North Central Nigeria. I refer to the above and write to notify your esteemed self of the existence of a possible plan of associates of the Kogi State Government to terminate my life. I hereby state that:
• Between 2017 and date, available records in the media space and public domain exist to clarify that I have been detained on more than 4 episodes on charges, reasons and circumstance that are motivated by individuals and groups all of whom are politically exposed persons with ties to the incumbent government in my home state.
• I have received several warnings from well-wishers; especially persons of goodwill who share a desire for the liberation of our state from the consequences of bad leadership to the effect that the remote cause of my travails are as a result of the opinions I hold about governance and leadership all of which I liberally discuss in the public space.
• Notwithstanding the numerous loopholes in our legal system, I have conducted my interactions with utmost regards to the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and have never exploited my reach in the public space for pecuniary benefits neither have I ever been indicted for libel, slander, blackmail or character defamation.
Pursuant to the above, I am concerned that whereas I have observed decorum at all times and have nothing personal against any official or associate of the Kogi State government, plans are constantly been made to degrade my constitutional right to express myself and share my thoughts on issues which affect me as a bonafide citizen of Nigeria and a native of Kogi State.
Already, fifth columnists have suggested to the incumbent governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Adoza Bello that my activities are part of the reasons the national leadership of the APC may have decided to shop for His successor thus denying Him a return ticket in November 2nd 2019 governorship elections. In their view, I played a role in the ongoing faceoff between the leadership of the APC and Gov. Yahaya Adoza Bello all of which are fictitious claims.
I am therefore constrained by the intensity of this threats to my existence to intimate your esteemed office that my sources have so far disclosed that:
• The plan to terminate my life has been cleverly hatched to resemble an accidental discharge from the rifle of a marksman who according to the grand design will be an individual with no traceable identity.
• A substantial sum of money have been set aside for two purposes – induce a category of my associates and blackmail another category who are immune to inducement. The intent of this plan is to enable my traducers obtain information about my movement with these mole and/or have them plant controlled substances or arms in any of my homes to give legal push to a long term incarceration during which I will be killed.
• In the event that the plan A flops, a plan B will be activated which will include a stage managed robbery operation either in my residence or on the motor ways in ether Lokoja, Anyigba or the FCT in the course of which I will be fatally wounded thus leading to permanent disability or a festering wound on a sensitive part of my body.
• As at now, I am reliably aware that on the 25th of April 2019, some operatives of the Federal Special Anti – Robbery Squad were dispatched from Lokoja, lodged and have remained in an unknown hotel in the Karu/Abacha Road axis of the FCT and Nasarawa State with clear orders from the Chief of Staff, Government House, Chief Edward Onoja. Some others are constantly roaming the streets scouting for information.
• The orders are simple and it is to the effect that I should be arrested in a manner that will cause me to question their identity in the course of which a fisticuff will ensue to create an atmosphere that will lead to my extra-judicial murder which will now be blamed on my attempt to either evade arrest or escape from lawful captivity.
• As back up to the federal SARS operatives, another squad of unknown persons have been heavily paid by the same Chief Edward Onoja to simply murder me by any means.
• An “agent provocateur” is also been shopped for with the intent that posing as an investor, money will be obtained from me for the purpose of investing same in illicit trade in a manner that will lead to the arrest of the investor who will in turn identify me as His or Her financier.
The purpose of this petition is to cause the service to be aware of these emerging threats, thoroughly investigate them and afterwards clearly assure me of my safety and that of members of my immediate family.
I seek the intervention of your esteemed self and organization to prevent these nefarious agents from terminating my life because as a citizen of Nigeria with no criminal record, I see no reason why state resources should be spent towards snatching life from me.
I assure the service of my continued observance of the dictates of the laws of Nigeria as they relate to freedom of speech and expression.
USMAN AUSTIN OKAI.
Department of State Services,
Yellow House, Abuja.
The Ag. Inspector General of Police,
Louis Edet House, Area II
Federal Special Anti – Robbery Squad,