Super Easy Soups and Stews, edited by Abigail R. Gehring, offers 100 ridiculously easy recipes for all your favorite soups, stews, chilies, chowders, and more. Whether you like to prepare dinner on the stovetop or in your slow cooker, Instant Pot, Dutch oven, or good old fashioned stock pot, there are plenty of delicious options here. You’ll also find helpful ideas for freezing soups, time-saving tips for prepping ingredients, and handy substitutions to customize soups to your tastes and dietary needs.
Recipe: Veggie Minestrone
Dorothy VanDeest, Memphis, TN
Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
Standing Time: 5-10 minutes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 16-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 14 1⁄2-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained, no salt added, or 5–6 whole tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 3 ⁄4 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
- 1 lb. fresh spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Lightly spray or grease inside bottom of stockpot. Sauté onion and garlic until tender.
2. Add broth, beans, macaroni, tomatoes, carrots, and oregano.
3. Cover and cook until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in spinach. Bring to a boil.
5. Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, 5–10 minutes before serving.
6. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan on each individual bowl.
Like this recipe as much as we do? Purchase a copy of “Super Easy Soups and Stews: 100 Soups, Stews, Broths, Chilis, Chowders, and More! “